Montenegro is stepping up plans to woo back tourists this summer under the banner of Europe’s first coronavirus-free country, after announcing it no longer had any active cases of the virus. “Let me take off my mask,” Prime Minister Dusko Markovic said triumphantly last week after health authorities announced that all infections had passed. The last new cases was recorded on May 5. Tourism operators from the small nation on the Adriatic coast have already launched promotional campaigns luring holidaymakers to “Europe’s first Covid-19 free country,” The Telegraph reported.
Often in the shadow of Croatia, the Balkan country, which boasts a picturesque Adriatic coastline, is optimistic that this year’s tourism season hasn’t been destroyed
by the coronavirus. Less than two months after detecting its first case, it is now free from COVID-19, having recorded a total of 324 cases and nine deaths. The country’s secretary of state for tourism, Damir Davidovic, is in upbeat mood looking to the summer. “We cannot expect this season to be like the previous one,” he said. “But I believe it is possible to achieve a much better result than the pessimistic forecasts we had just recently,” CGTN wrote.
Montenegro’s Ministry of Health has updated the list of countries whose citizens are allowed to enter and stay in Montenegro starting from 1 June
. According to the Montenegrin government, entry is allowed for those countries where there is a significant slowdown in the spread of coronavirus, a decrease in the number of new cases, as well as where the number of active patients is not more than 25 per 100 thousand population. It is noted that the list includes the countries of the European Union, Africa, and Latin America, as well as China. The list does not include the United States and Russia, according to 112 International.