Star Alliance members Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines are currently selling cheap flights to Nur-Sultan (formerly Astana) and Almaty in Kazakhstan. Sadly, since Lufthansa has recently updated its baggage policy, only Turkish Airlines will grant you one free piece of luggage (30kg). Lufthansa charges an additional €120 for a 23kg suitcase for the roundtrip.
We were able to find cheap flights to Almaty for these prices:
- Amsterdam: €291
- Brussels: €292
- Vilnius: €301
- Paris: €303 (Lufthansa)
- Riga: €315
- Prague: €333 (~CZK 8,854)
- Stockholm: €340 (~SEK 3,568)
- Oslo: €372 (~NOK 3,984)
- Copenhagen: €385 (~DKK 2,871)
- Tallinn: €390 (Lufthansa)
- London: €398 (~£357) (Lufthansa)
- Helsinki: €399 (Lufthansa)
Turkish Airlines flights are via Istanbul, Lufthansa flights are via Frankfurt. Usually, the flight times are quite similar. The service is similar too. As stated in the introduction, the biggest difference lies in the luggage policy. You can’t always choose between both airlines, as their offers differ for each city. These are the possible flights for Turkish Airlines:
And this is what Lufthansa has to offer:
Flights to Nur-Sultan are only available with Lufthansa. All of Turkish Airlines flights are operated with a Boeing 737. Lufthansa uses an Airbus A330 and first flies to Nur-Sultan, and then continues to Almaty.
Search & Book
Sadly we weren’t able to find any fare rules for either airline. There does seem to be a three-day minimum stay requirement, though. Availability is extremely high from September onward, at least for most of the mentioned cities. Google Flights will show you the exact and updated dates. You can book directly at the airline (turkishairlines.com and lufthansa.com) or save some money by booking through our Travel-Dealz flight search.
Please be aware that Nur-sultan is subject to extreme weather conditions during winter months. The average daily temperature from November through February is negative ten degrees!
Most EU citizens won’t need a visa to enter Kazakhstan, given their trip does not exceed thirty days. Please inform yourself if this regulation applies to you.
* What the star implies: Links marked with a * mean that we will receive a commission if a booking or a specific action is made via the linked provider. There will be no additional costs for you, and in return, we can offer you Travel-Dealz without annoying display advertisement. Also, we won't receive any money just by setting links.