This list of travel corridors – nations exempt from the 14-day self-isolation restrictions for overseas arrivals – has been gradually shrinking in recent times, with Covid cases rising in many popular destinations around Europe.latest major destinations to have their corridors removed, following the likes of France, Spain and Portugal in previous announcements.
And after a week without any major changes, Italy finally losts its “air bridge” on Thursday 15 October, as did Vatican City and San Marino.
Conversely, Mykonos, the Canaries and Denmark were granted a new travel corridor, meaning that holidaymakers visiting these destinations will no longer need to self-isolate
Announcing the changes on Twitter, the Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the new rules would come into effect from 4am on Sunday 25 October, rather than on a Saturday as in previous weeks.
What is the current list of travel corridor countries?
Under the current rules, all travellers need to fill in an online government form before travelling to the UK from overseas, which cannot be completed until 48 hours before arrival.
While everybody needs to take this step, the 14-day quarantine only applies to arrivals from outside the list of Government travel corridors, with a potential fine of up to £10,000 for those who break the isolation rules.
After the most recent announcement, the list of corridors for people returning to England currently includes the following countries – it is regularly updated so it’s always worth checking the Government’s website for the latest guidance:
- Akrotiri and Dhekelia
- Antigua and Barbuda
- the Azores
- British Antarctic Territory
- British Indian Ocean Territory
- British Virgin Islands
- The Canary Islands (will be added to the list 4am Sunday 25 October)
- Cayman Islands
- the Channel Islands
- Denmark (will be added to the list 4am Sunday 25 October)
- Falkland Islands
- Faroe Islands
- Greece (If you arrive in England from Mykonos before 4am 25 October you will need to self-isolate)
- Hong Kong
- the Isle of Man
- Macao (Macau)
- Maldives (will be added to the list 4am Sunday 25 October)
- New Caledonia
- New Zealand
- Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands
- South Korea
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- St Barthélemy
- St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Lucia
- St Pierre and Miquelon
- St Vincent and the Grenadines